7 Uses for Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
For less than $20, you can purchase one gallon of a true “cure-all” for your own pantry. Organic, Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a health tonic that cannot be ignored. You are probably already familiar with using this delicious condiment as a hair rinse to combat dandruff and leave hair squeaky clean. Or you may be familiar with using it in recipes for salad dressings or homemade cleaning products. I’m excited to share with you 7 uses for this powerful food product that you may not have heard of before:
1) DIGESTIVE AID: Raw Apple Cider Vinegar benefits digestion by increasing the acidity of the stomach before meals. Did you know that acid reflux is actually due to a LACK of stomach acid? It's true-- deficient stomach acids and enzymes will allow food to ferment in the stomach.... and eventually the resultant bubbling gases need to go somewhere, so they pop open the sphincter between your stomach and esophagus, otherwise, your stomach would explode.... not a pretty sight! But, along with these escaping gases, undigested food mixed with stomach acid makes its way up the throat, which can be downright unpleasant, not to mention risky!
GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) is linked to esophageal cancer as well as scarring in the esophagus which may lead to difficulty with swallowing. Rather than suppressing stomach acid to prevent that unpleasant burning sensation in your throat after meals, try a shot of diluted Raw ACV before meals-- I recommend Bragg’s. The acetic acid in ACV increases the acidity in the stomach to aid in digestion. Acids in the stomach and gut also boost immune function by creating an inhospitable environment for viruses, bacteria and fungi such as candida. “The Mother of Vinegar,” which is only present in raw, undistilled Apple Cider Vinegar, is composed of beneficial bacteria that when taken internally help to promote healthy gut flora as well. Studies also show that Apple Cider Vinegar combats blood sugar issues by increasing insulin sensitivity (1) and aiding in weight loss. (2) “Hippocrates discovered that natural, [raw], undistilled Apple Cider Vinegar (or ACV) is a powerful cleansing and healing elixir, ‘a naturally occurring antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria’ for a healthier, stronger, longer life!” (3)
2) DETOXIFYING BATH: Combined with Epsom salts, Raw Apple Cider Vinegar soothes and heals irritated skin conditions including eczema, insect bites, fungal infections, and acne. Add 1 cup of ACV and 2 cups of Epsom salts to a warm bath, then soak for 40 minutes BEFORE going to bed. If you want to jazz things up a bit, throw in some herbs, spices, or essential oils (diluted with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, or jojoba)-- Lemongrass Essential Oil is great for skin ailments. Order it here. Resting after soaking will help your body to recover and repair as you may feel achy from due to a due to the elimination of toxins. Don’t worry-- this is normal-- many people feel a little “under the weather” when cleansing! If you experience aches or any other flu-like symptoms, you may want to soak 1-2 times per week and contact me to add Spanish Black Radish by Standard Process to your regimen, which serves to speed the elimination of toxic candida die off from your body. In the meantime, download this FREE eResource about what to expect while cleansing for more helpful hints about Detox.
Soaking in a detoxifying bath may also help with joint pains, muscle cramps, and high blood pressure due to mineral imbalances in the body. For localized itching, use a ratio of 1:2 (apple cider vinegar: distilled water) on a cotton ball or spray on skin. May sting at first, but it should go away quickly and greatly reduce the itch!
3) FERMENTED FOODS: “The Mother of Vinegar” is actually a symbiotic colony of bacteria and sugars, much like a kombucha mushroom. Mycoderma aceti can be used as a starter for making your own Wine or Cider Vinegars. In fact, the word vinegar comes from the Old French word for “sour wine.” Try making Balsamic Vinegar by choosing a sweet wine, adding some “Vinegar Mother” from Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, then storing in a dark place for several weeks without a lid. Oxygen and natural spores from the air will aid in the formation of a delicious Balsamic Vinegar. The benefits of fermented foods are too numerous to list here, but it is enough to know that virtually every culture in the world has some form of fermented SuperFood which promotes health and longevity. Download my FREE eResource called “Cultured Horticulture” for recipes and more information on the benefits of fermented foods.
4) ANTI-FUNGAL SPRAY FOR THE SHOWER: Straight or diluted Apple Cider Vinegar can be sprayed in the shower after each use to prevent and remove the molds and mildews. Some sources suggest using equal parts vinegar and salt for mildew. On a personal note, if you have foot or toe nail fungus, soaking in 100% or a dilution of Apple Cider Vinegar may be beneficial. Throw in some Pau d’Arco bark or an anti-fungal essential oil such as Tea Tree for an anti-fungal soak on steroids! Order Tea Tree Oil here. As a prophylactic, spray feet with Apple Cider Vinegar when using public showers or locker rooms….or simply wear your flip flops! Download a FREE copy of my 2-minute recipe for “All-Natural All-Purpose Cleaner” using Apple Cider Vinegar to clean floors, countertops, bathrooms, produce, etc. or watch an instructional video HERE.
5) SPOT & STAIN REMOVER: Not only is Apple Cider Vinegar said to be particularly effective for treating stains on clothing due to the active enzymes which break down compounds, but "spots" left by pets including the stubborn lingering odor can be removed as well. (4) ACV is said to remove stains from teeth when rubbed directly on the surface using a brush or piece of gauze. Use it daily for up to one month in place of chemical teeth whitening products-- NOTE: dilution may be necessary to prevent removal of enamel from teeth. Alpha hydroxy acids in Apple Cider Vinegar help to reduce age and sun spots on the skin as well, promoting a more even skin tone. Interested in more ideas for do-it-yourself ideas? Download my eBook: “Homemade Herbal Remedies & Household Products.”
6) A SOURCE OF MINERALS: Distillation destroys the natural malic and tartaric acids important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria. Fermented vinegars, such as ACV preserve beneficial acids from raw apples as well as a host of minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic fluorine, silicon, other trace minerals, as well as pectin and many other powerful nutrients!
The acids in Raw ACV also enhance the bioavailability of supplemental minerals as well, further supporting health and wellness. I frequently recommend the “Immunity Triad” by Standard Process which is effective for the prevention and treatment of viruses:
So, how does this work? Dr. Royal Lee found that a lack of calcium in the body’s tissues is directly correlated to infections such as polio, whooping cough, scarlet fever, mumps, herpes, and HPV. Modern scientific studies verify this correlation as well. (5) (6) Combining Calcium Lactate powder with ACV produces diffusible calcium for the body that is easily absorbed into the tissues. Vitamin D locks calcium into the blood, which depletes the tissues of calcium, especially during hot summer months when we get a lot of sunshine and lose electrolytes (including calcium) through perspiration-- Dr. Lee explains that this is the reason for the spike in cases of polio during the summer months. There are also scientific studies that correlate the lack of tissue calcium and the increase in HPV-related cervical cancers in women after long summer months. Vitamin F drives ionized calcium into the tissues, thus increasing immune function, along with Vitamin C, which is also known for its immune boosting powers. Interested in this Immunity Triad by Standard Process? Contact me to find out more.
7) PAIN TONIC: Every system in the human body has an ideal pH, and when there is a pH imbalance, pain and illness may occur. For instance, the synovial fluid surrounding the joints must be slightly acidic in order to keep minerals in solution. Morning joint stiffness that goes away once you get moving is likely related to the beneficial effects of lactic acid being released from muscles. This in turn lowers the pH of synovial fluids leading to the dissolution of mineral deposits in the joints. Internal and/ or topical use of ACV has the same effect on joint stiffness. Muscle cramps and spasms may be relieved by spraying Apple Cider Vinegar on the skin as well.
For even more benefits and uses for Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, check out the April 21, 2014 edition of New Vitality News Archives.