Everyone seems to have the answer to the question about how to be healthy and how to get there with the least amount of effort.... drink this drink.... eat that food... do this exercise... take that supplement... buy this device... say that prayer. It can be so confusing, frustrating, and overwhelming! My suggestion is to start somewhere; it doesn't matter. The way I look at it, if we make little changes on a consistent basis, then eventually we will get to where we want to be. For instance, we teach our children to read in stages: first WE read TO them, point to words, teach the alphabet and phonics, read TOGETHER, then eventually release them to read independently. We don't just give them a book and say "Read!" My point is that becoming healthy takes time, and there are little things we can do that will take us closer to our goal. Don't fall into the trap of being an "all or nothing" kind of person; just start somewhere, then add something new when the first thing has become habit.
Here are some ideas-- pick one to work on at a time:
- Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day-- be sure it is pure water (R.O. or filtered, such as Berkey). Download this FREE eResource about the holistic guidelines for healthy water consumption here. And if you enjoyed that resource, then you will love this eBook called "Living Water" from my biblical health series for women.
- Chew each bite of food at least 25 times before swallowing-- those digestive juices flow better with chewing!
- Install a shower head that filters out chlorine.
- Exercise 2-3 times per week for 30 minutes-- a brisk walk, rebounding, Pilates, cross training, swimming, etc. Start with once a week if you don' t already exercise regularly, then work your way up to more frequent sessions. The extra endorphins will help if you just start somewhere!
- Turn off the lights by 11pm each night and benefit from the most productive sleep hours.
- Limit sweets to once per week (or twice, or three times if you are really hooked, then work your way down). If you crave sweets, grab protein instead, then wait 5 minutes to see if the craving goes away!
- Cut back on caffeine, and eventually eliminate it totally. Try Herbal Beverage by Nature's Sunshine in place of coffee!
Download "The Road to Your New Vitality" to find out more about Restoring Your Health.
L'chaim-- To Life!