A friend recently asked me,"What causes kidney stones?" I thought you might be interested in the answer, so I decided to blog about it this month. Hope it can help someone today!
Kidney stones are made from calcium being out of solution in the body. This happens when pH is acid and body has to pull calcium from bones to buffer these acids, then they are deposited in our kidneys.....lovely, huh? This is the same way that arthritis and gout occur.
1. Eat 80% alkaline foods (mainly vegetables, with 60% raw and 40% steamed or cooked-- too much raw food overworks the thyroid. Cruciferous vegetables should ALWAYS be steamed if you have thyroid issues because these are goitrogenic!) and 20% acid foods (mainly protein foods) every day. Download a FREE list of Acid vs. Alkaline Foods.
2. Manage your stress.
3. Avoid sugars (not just candy and sweets, but fruits and carbs), limit dairy (6% of diet)
4. EAT HIGH SODIUM FOODS! Sodium keeps calcium in solution. No, not foods with table salt (NaCl), but foods that contain high amounts of sodium (Na), such as okra, celery, herbs high in sodium (sea vegetables like kelp and dulse), goat milk or powdered goat whey (Mt. Capra has a good product line-- read more about the benefits of goat milk in a previous blog), black mission figs, or
Start with1-3 pounds of clean, fresh, cut veal joints (if you are local to Loveland, CO, check out Rocky Plains Quality Meats for a variety of all-natural meats, including bones. If there are no veal joint bones, try another type of bone). Wash in cold water and cover halfway with water in a pot, then add the following ingredients!
- 1 1/2 c. apple peelings
- 2 c. potato peelings
- small celery stalk
- 1/2 c. okra, canned or fresh (I would think that frozen would be fine too)
- 1 large parsnip
- 1 onion
- 2 beets, grated
- 1/2 c. chopped parsley
Simmer all ingredients 4-5 hours; strain off liquid and discard solids. The broth will be a white, milky color when done. Drink warm or hot. Store leftover broth in refrigerator. Voila-- delicious, healthy broth that helps with arthritis, gout, joint pain, kidney stones, etc. Miracle stuff! Download a FREE copy of this Veal Joint Broth recipe!
5. Use herbs high in sodium such as kelp & dulse.
6. To prevent kidney stones, use anti-lithic herbs such as buchu (Nature's Sunshine is running a special on Cranberry & Buchu this month!), hydrangea, uva ursi.