Vim & Vitality Blog
The Alter Ego of Yeast: 5 Ways Beta Glucan Protects You Against Cancer
Life is uncertain! I am constantly amazed at how our bodies are fearfully and wonderfully made-- able to endure untold abuse from:
- Highly-processed, chemical-laden foods
- Environmental toxins from pesticides, cleaning chemicals, and even purposeful exposure to poisons such as recreational and prescription drugs
- Neglect in the form of lack of exercise, inadequate sleep, stress-relieving activities such as prayer and meditation (being still and quiet), etc.
- Excessive stress in the form of extreme exercise, work and daily life in America
Ironically, life is also SO fragile! Freaky things happen that can snuff out a life or permanently alter the quality of life in a seemingly effortless manner: exposure to black mold, an acute infection that suddenly erupts and becomes fatal within hours, an injury such as a broken hip, Stage 4 Cancer….
Fortunately, the body WANTS to heal itself. And when given the proper building blocks, healing is easy!
Two weeks ago, I started a blog series on powerful, proven and effective wholistic options for the prevention and elimination of cancer. The first option I wrote about was IP-6 combined with adequate nutrition which includes the 90 essential nutrients. All of the options I will be presenting are based on my personal research for my father, who was recently diagnosed with Stage 4.5 myelodysplasia (5Q- MDS). By the way, he is blood transfusion dependent, needing a transfusion about every 10 days, but now with what we are implementing, he is over two weeks out from his last transfusion and is holding steady with a hemoglobin count of 9.4, so I think we are making progress! We are living by this motto:
"Pray as though everything depended on G-d. Work as though everything depended on you." --Saint Augustine
Today, I want to tell you about an exciting compound extracted from common baker’s yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), but before you get all excited about how baker’s yeast can exacerbate candida problems, let me alleviate your fears!
“Beta 1, 3-D Glucan, a natural fiber molecule derived from intensely purified Baker’s Yeast, is free of the impurities that cause yeast reactions and enhances the immune system.” (1)
Beta Glucan is the “alter ego” of yeast, providing many amazing health benefits, including protection against cancer.
What is Beta (b) 1, 3-D glucan?
- b-glucans are groups of hexagonal glucose rings (D-glucose polysaccharides) joined to other glucose side chains in various positions off the main “backbone” of the molecule (in beta 1,3-D glucan, the side chains are attached at the 1,3 positions). What? In simple terms, b-glucans are poly-branched poly-glucose fiber-like particles. This diagram sums it up:
- b-glucans are complex carbohydrates derived from medicinal mushrooms, seaweed or grains such as oats, barley and rye. The most powerful forms come from the cell wall of baker’s yeast and are similar to insoluble fiber (cellulose) with an established cause-and-effect relationship between the consumption of beta-glucans and reduced blood cholesterol. (2), (Beta Glucan: Nature’s Secret by Vaclav Vetvicka, p. 57)
- b-glucans are “biological response stimulators” meaning that they activate the immune system.
How does b-glucan protect you against disease, including cancer?
- b-glucans are absorbed by Peyer’s patches which are considered the immune sensors of the intestine. (3) Also referred to as “gut-associated lymphoid tissue” (GALT), Peyer’s patches transport the immunomodulating particles of beta glucans to the Complement Receptor 3 (CR3) of immune cells in the gut which then travel throughout the body scavenging invaders.
- The CR3s on the surface of immune cells (macrophages, neutrophils, eosinophils, monocytes, and NK cells) are stimulated by beta glucans to differentiate between healthy cells and pathogens which:
- Increases phagocytosis-- the ability of one cell to engulf another, specifically immune cells that devour pathogens, including cancer cells
- Stimulates chemotaxis-- recognition of chemicals produced by pathogens so that immune cells can attack and eradicate
- Augments white blood cell count (if suppressed)-- also called leukocytes, these cells fight infection
- Balances immune response-- activated T-helper cells respond to cellular (th1) and humoral or bodily fluid (th2) pathogens by producing cytokines and antibodies. This video summarizes how beta glucans activate your immune system, even explaining how they are effective against cancer!
- Stimulates stem cell growth of red blood cells (hematopoiesis)-- and when combined with Resveratrol and Vitamin C, beta glucan is synergized to enhance the immune system even further!
This is great news for cancer, especially for cancers of the blood! Here is a long list of scientific studies demonstrating the ability of beta glucans to stimulate stem cell growth. And these are small subset of over 140,000 scientific studies on glucans!
More about b-glucans & cancer
As far as cancer goes, b-glucans are a form of scientifically proven, clinically verified medical nutrition that exceed other wholistic options. Here are a few comparisons. In both animal and human trials, beta glucans have shown amazing anti-tumor activity against a variety of cancers including breast, lung, and gastrointestinal cancers.
“In Japan, b-glucan is already licensed as a drug effective in cancer treatment.” (Beta Glucan: Nature’s Secret by Vaclav Vetvicka, p. 41)
And it has been used by physicians in Japan for over 30 years as a cancer treatment. In fact, beta glucans have been researched for over 75 years in the finest universities and teaching hospitals around the world, including Harvard, James Brown Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins, Sloan Kettering, Tulane and the United States Armed Forces.
“Glucan will help protect you against cancer and many other illnesses that would normally be eradicated by a strong and fully functioning immune system. Glucans are the most significant anti-cancerous immunostimulant that we are aware of. It is certainly effective against many carcinogens so your risks of cancer would be greatly reduced. It would certainly be a good idea for cancer patients to take glucan as they may find their cancer regresses or stops progressing.” (Beta Glucan: Nature’s Secret by Vaclav Vetvicka, p. 49)
My father has opted to use an integrative approach combining these two forms of beta glucan with an allopathic immunostimulant called Revlimid. In addition to increasing apoptosis (programmed cell death of cancer cells), both work together to stimulate hematopoiesis in the bone marrow. Even with chemotherapies that are designed to wipe out your immune system,
“Glucans are extremely beneficial to people undergoing chemotherapy. Taking glucan will protect your immune system cells while allowing the drugs to do their job on the cancerous ones.” (Beta Glucan: Nature’s Secret by Vaclav Vetvicka, p. 50)
What about b-glucan & other health conditions?
As mentioned above, b-glucans can be beneficial against high cholesterol:
“Glucans were shown to reduce the total and LDL cholesterol levels.” (Beta Glucan: Nature’s Secret by Vaclav Vetvicka, p. 57)
Additionally, beta glucans have been shown effective in the prevention and reversal of:
- Chronic & infectious diseases-- including seasonal illness, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, eczema, autoimmune disorders (including HIV), flesh-eating bacteria, Lyme disease,
- Diabetes-- lowers blood sugar, prevents formation of diabetic ulcers, aids in healing of diabetic ulcers
- Wound healing-- including burns, viral& bacterial skin infections, cuts & scrapes, side effects of radiation
“There are no adverse negative effects with glucan.” (Beta Glucan: Nature’s Secret by Vaclav Vetvicka, p. 108), (4)
Can anyone take b-glucan?
Yes! Think of b-glucan as a non-specific immune modulator-- it will not over-stimulate your immune system, but it will give you an extra boost if you are in need of extra protection whether you are traveling, exposed to pathogens or feeling run-down, etc. I use beta glucan in place of vaccinations for my family, and we have added it to our daily regimen of supplements to maintain our health. During the winter months, or when I feel like I am fighting an illness, I will increase my daily intake of beta glucan and stave off illness!
Where do I buy b-glucan?
Ask me how to order! I recommend a brand manufactured by an expert named AJ Lanigan (thank you, AJ for all you have taught me about this amazing nutritional supplement!) and backed by the research of Dr. Vaclav Vetvicka. I am very impressed with the quality standards of this company, including the highest potency and effectiveness of any b-glucan product on the market. There is more information available than I can cover in this blog, so if you want to research more, check out these videos by AJ Lanigan.
My prayer is that this blog has been both encouraging and inspiring to you! I am so excited to continue to watch as my father’s body is healed and restored through a beneficial extract from yeast called b-glucan. Truly this is the Jekyll & Hyde of yeast! We covet your prayers, because nothing is impossible with G-d! Meanwhile, download my eBook on Preventing & Fighting Cancer. It is FREE for a limited time.
L'chaim-- To Life!
L’chaim-- To Life!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.